Thursday, March 18, 2010

Roses or Lashes?

A little birdie hopped on to the window when I was watering the plants. I gave her a bowl of water to drink. She finished the bowl. I filled it again. She finished it again. Now, this was getting a little too much. I had just enough time to water my plants and this one wants to have some conversation with me. So, I said a quick hi and whats up? She said she hovered around the windows of Chimp and Champ when they were having some interesting conversation and gave me a sly look. Being an Indian wife, can I resist it? Nonchalantly, I said "go on."

She started saying that Champ seems to be testing Chimp because she heard Champ say, "If you were to describe your wife (i.e. me), to your colleagues, what would you say?"

Chimp thought this was easy and said, "I would say she is a sweet and loving girl. She takes care of the house very well. She takes care of the family well. She has a sense of belonging with the family. She is intelligent." Chimp thought he had done very well and went to hit the bed. Champ was delighted. Of course, she didn't expect Chimp to say goody-goody things. It surprised her. Her face was glowing. 

Not yet done with the conversation, Champ asked "If some day we decide to have children and God gives us the liberty to decide their characteristics, what would you like them to take from me?" Now, Chimp began to get irritated. He was just about to feast on his Sunday's siesta. But he got up, sat and thought to himself "Anyway she wont let me sleep, till I answer her all her questions."  He pondered for a while and then said, "Well, there are quite a few things which they should take from you. For instance, your sense of smile, meaning the fact that you smile under all circumstances, whether good or bad. Your intelligence, your loving nature, gentleness, the emotional tie that you share with the family etc." And he began to rest again. He was very proud of himself. He wanted to pat himself. After all, which husband could have answered such good qualities about his wife, even when he was sleepy.

Chimp did get carried away a little though because he continued and said, "But you know what? In our society, the right age to get married is kind of decided by the members of the community, not by the individual himself. If I had to have it my way, maybe I wouldn't have got married at all or maybe married very late. I don't know. Maybe I would have prioritized and focused on attaining a lot of professional objectives." Saying this, he fell asleep.

I wonder what will happen when he gets up. Will he get roses for the goody goody things he said about his wife? Or is he going to get lashes for the last part that he himself added, which was never asked about?

No comments: